Tuesday 11 May 2010

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Sherlock Holmes (2009): Dir: Guy Ritchie

The opening sequence perfectly sets the tone - an audacious intervention of a masonic ritual. Slick, muscular and confident, it isn’t like any other take on Arthur Conan Doyle.

I’ve got it on good authority there’s loads of details fans of the original stories will notice (my girl is the expert - she pointed out the ‘VR’ bulletholes in Holmes’ room, told me what it stood for) but equally lots that’s strictly non-canon (steampunk devices, anyone?).  It’s heavy on the occult too - but I kind of liked all that. Purists will be furious I suppose.

The downside is a fairly limp plot, but there’s much fun to be had from the Downey Jr./Law bromance. They’re both clearly having a ton of fun.

I’m looking forward to the inevitable sequel. Pitt rumoured to be arch-fiend Moriarty!

No comments:

Post a Comment